That man left
Robert Malley went on leave
That man left. According to Iran Gate, the U.S. senior negotiator on Iran, Robert Malley, went on leave amid an investigation into security clearance issues. Malley, who was deeply involved in former U.S. President Bill Clinton’s unsuccessful efforts in 2000 to mediate peace between Israel and the Palestinians, and also in the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, was appointed as the Special Envoy for Iran in January 2021.
U.S. State Department spokesperson Matt Miller said on Thursday that Robert Malley, the U.S. Special Envoy for Iran, is on leave, adding that Abram Paley will temporarily replace him. In an email to Reuters, Miller wrote, ‘Robert Malley is on leave, and Abram Paley is serving as the Special Envoy on Iran issues and leading the State Department’s work in this regard.’
According to Politico, Malley wrote in a message, ‘I have been informed that my security clearance is under review. No further information has been provided to me, but I expect the investigation to conclude favorably and soon.’
It is unclear what reasons might be behind his leave amid renewed efforts to curb Iran’s nuclear program following the Trump administration’s 2018 decision to withdraw from the JCPOA, aiming to disregard the 2015 nuclear agreement and reimpose extensive sanctions on Iran.
Under the 2015 nuclear agreement, Iran limited its nuclear program to reduce sanctions. After U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from this agreement, Robert Malley played a key role in efforts to revive it during Biden’s presidency.
He led the Biden administration’s unsuccessful efforts to revive the agreement, under which Iran was to limit its nuclear program in exchange for the broad lifting of sanctions, making it more difficult to obtain fissile material for building a nuclear weapon. Notably, Tehran has always denied attempting to acquire nuclear weapons.
Malley’s absence has become highly questionable amid numerous reports in recent weeks about topics such as the resumption of indirect negotiations with Iran on nuclear issues and the exchange of American prisoners. However, recently, Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced at a Council on Foreign Relations meeting that ‘there is no agreement in the future, and any report suggesting a deal is misleading.’
During President Barack Obama’s administration, Robert Malley was also responsible for handling nearly all matters from nuclear agreement negotiations to combating the Islamic State.
CNN, citing several informed sources, reported that Robert Malley’s security clearances were suspended following a security investigation by the U.S. State Department into the potential mishandling of classified content by him.
Serious concerns
Congress has requested more information about the investigations into Robert Malley, Biden’s suspended envoy on Iran. Michael McCaul, Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, announced on Friday that Congress is seeking more information about the allegations that led to the State Department’s investigation of Robert Malley, the U.S. Special Envoy on Iran. It is said that these allegations are related to classified documents.
As previously mentioned, Malley has been on unpaid leave since Thursday, and his security clearance has been suspended amid investigations. McCaul wrote in a letter to Secretary of State Antony Blinken that these reports raise serious concerns both about Malley’s conduct and whether the State Department has misled Congress and the public.
Malley, who was appointed by President Biden on January 28, 2021, as the Special Envoy on Iran, confirmed that he went on leave on Thursday and said he expects the matter to be resolved.
McCaul called the suspension of Robert Malley’s security clearance concerning and condemned the State Department for refusing to cooperate and ignoring past efforts by the House Foreign Affairs Committee to oversee.
He added that while the suspension of the Special Envoy’s security clearance is troubling in itself, our concern is heightened by the State Department’s refusal to respond to the committee’s efforts to oversee negotiations and its policy towards Iran.
McCaul said since April 11, 2023, the House Foreign Affairs Committee has repeatedly requested Robert Malley to appear before the House to answer questions, and the State Department has never responded to these invitations. He added that eventually, the State Department told him that Malley could not appear before Congress because he was on leave in May due to the illness of a close family member.
This Republican from Texas claims that at no time did the State Department indicate that the Special Envoy Robert Malley’s security clearance had been suspended or was under review, or that he was under investigation for potential misconduct.
McCaul tells Blinken that the State Department’s failure to inform Congress on this matter at best indicates a lack of good faith and, at worst, suggests deliberately providing false information, which is potentially illegal. The Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee has asked the State Department to provide a complete and transparent report related to the suspension and investigation of U.S. Special Envoy Robert Malley by July 11.
According to some experts and political analysts, Malley’s absence could hinder the Biden administration’s efforts to revive the Iran nuclear deal and agreements regarding the release of prisoners and other issues.
English
View this article in English